IoT Hacking and Security Village
We are excited to announce IoT Hacking & Security Village at c0c0n 2023.
With a focus on empowering participants with practical IoT security knowledge, this village aims to provide a comprehensive learning experience that caters to participants of varying skill levels.
Join us for an immersive journey into the realm of IoT security at the IoT Security Village, where participants will engage in interactive sessions, practical demonstrations, and hands-on exercises.
The village is designed to equip attendees with a comprehensive understanding of IoT security principles, practical skills, and best practices.
Interactive and Engaging Learning: Our sessions are highly interactive, engaging, and tailored to accommodate participants of varying skill levels. Participants will actively engage in hands-on exercises, practical demonstrations, and discussions to grasp IoT security concepts effectively.
Practical Demonstrations : The village includes live demonstrations of real-world IoT device vulnerabilities and exploitation techniques. These demonstrations showcase the relevance and applicability of the topics covered, enhancing participants' understanding.
Comprehensive Learning Experience : We strive to provide participants with a well-rounded learning experience. Our sessions cover both theoretical knowledge and practical skills, ensuring attendees leave with a holistic understanding of IoT security.
Technical Requirements : To fully participate, attendees should bring their laptops or devices for hands-on activities. Specific software installations or technical requirements, if any, will be communicated in advance through this web page.
Day 3 - 06th Oct, 2023 (Friday)
Introduction Talk on IoT Security 101
- Overview of the IoT Security 101 community and its mission.
- Understanding the importance of IoT security and its challenges
IoT Devices Penetration Testing - Practical Demonstrations
- Live demonstrations of real-world IoT device vulnerabilities and exploitation techniques.
- Highlighting common attack vectors and potential security risks.
Practical Experience of Using Tools with IoT-PT OS v3
- Hands-on session with IoT-PT OS v3, a dedicated IoT penetration testing platform.
- Participants will learn to use various tools and techniques for assessing IoT device security.
- Participants will actively engage in practical exercises to identify vulnerabilities and perform penetration testing on IoT devices.
- Guided by instructors, attendees will apply their knowledge to real-world scenarios.
One-on-One Discussion / Mentorship Sessions
- Individual mentoring and guidance sessions with participants.
- Addressing specific questions, providing career insights, and personalized advice.
- An interactive session where participants can share their experiences and insights gained from the hands-on lab.
- Discussing challenges, best practices, and potential solutions.
- Opportunity for participants to network, ask questions, and engage with fellow attendees and instructors.
Day 4 - 07th Oct, 2023 (Saturday)
BLE x Hardware CTF
- Exploring the security of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) on hardware.
- Engaging participants in a Capture the Flag (CTF) competition focused on hardware-related challenges.
Hardware De-chipping Activity
- A practical session on hardware analysis and de-chipping techniques.
- Participants will learn how to extract and analyse firmware from IoT devices.
What to expect
Active Participation : Attendees are encouraged to actively participate in discussions, hands-on exercises, and interactive sessions. Their involvement will enrich their learning experience and deepen their understanding of IoT security concepts.
Practical Application : Participants will have the opportunity to apply the knowledge gained in real-world scenarios. The hands-on exercises are designed to help participants develop practical skills and a problem-solving mindset.
Collaborative Learning : The workshop fosters a collaborative learning environment. Attendees are invited to share insights, experiences, and challenges with both instructors and fellow participants, promoting networking and community building.
Question and Answer : Dedicated Q&A sessions will provide attendees with the chance to ask questions and seek clarification on village content. These sessions offer deeper insights into the topics covered and ensure a clear understanding.
Open Mindset : Attendees are encouraged to approach the village with an open mindset, ready to explore new concepts and actively engage in discussions. A willingness to learn and experiment will contribute to a fulfilling experience.
Feedback Contribution : We value attendee feedback as it helps us enhance future iterations of the village. Participants are encouraged to share their thoughts, suggestions, and ideas to improve the overall village experience.
What to bring
- Laptop with 8+ GB minimum RAM
- 100 GB Disk space to run the VM
- Administrative privileges on the system to run Latest VirtualBox (6.X) (including VirtualBox extension pack)
- Enthusiasm to work together to share knowledge